Produced from Queen Anne's lace, carrot seed essential oil has been used in traditional medicine for years. It can be easily confused with other oils produced from different parts of the plant, but the oil produced from steam diffusion is the product that brings you several benefits and uses of carrot seed essential oil.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission if items are purchased, at no extra cost to you. This does not affect our opinions expressed above. For more info, read about our approach.
Produced from Queen Anne’s lace, carrot seed essential oil has been used in traditional medicine for years. It can be easily confused with other oils produced from different parts of the plant, but the oil produced from steam diffusion is the product that brings you several benefits and uses of carrot seed essential oil.
Recommended Carrot Seed Oil-Based Products:
Carrot Seed Essential Oil Benefits
Often thought of as the common weed, Queen Anne’s lace, carrot seed essential oil has been in use by traditional cultures as a way to calm your digestive system or prevent infections. If you’re looking for oils to help with healthy skin, carrot seed essential oil can be a powerful choice.
1. Skin rejuvenating
As the first defense against infection, skin health is one of the most important factors in our overall health. Not only does it prevent the invasion of outside bacteria and viruses, but its appearance also affects our mental health as well. Our skin is bombarded daily by a myriad number of factors, including chemicals in the environment or free oxygen molecules. These may cause symptoms such as brown spots, wrinkles, or skin eruptions. Carrot seed essential oil has been found to kill the bacteria found on the skin, preventing infections, as well as helping cells rebound from the damage caused by oxidation. This may improve the overall health and resilience of the skin. (1)
2. Healthy digestive system
Digestive issues can come with a variety of symptoms: flatulence, stomachache, cramping, or even constipation. These symptoms can also be caused by any number of causes, such as our diet, stress, or even bacterial infections. Carrot seed oil has been used in traditional medical care to prevent or cure these issues. Modern studies have shown that carrot seed oil is may be effective in treating these issues due to its anti-spasmodic properties, allowing for smoother digestion in the lower tracts. It has also been shown to help control infections such as h. pylori, a bacterium known for causing ulcers in the lining of the stomach. (2)
3. Muscles Circulation and Joints
Mild pain tends to be a part of the human condition, from minor muscle aches to swollen joints. There are even diseases that cause these aches and may be the cause of damage to joints. Conditions such as arthritis may need more than traditional therapies for relief. Carrot seed essential oil has been found to have multiple properties that make it ideal for assisting with joints and muscles. A 1994 study found that carrot seed oil has a diuretic effect that helps with the circulation of blood in the body. This may help by reducing swelling in affected muscles and joints. (3) Yet another study found that this oil reduced the involuntary spasms in muscles, which can help reduce pain found in overused muscles. (4)
4. Antibacterial and antifungal
Our lives are filled with different types of beneficial bacteria and fungi. However, many come with our foods and may cause life-threatening illness. Many modern preventative measures against these substances can inadvertently lead to the creation of resistant types, making it harder to control their spread. Carrot seed essential oil has been studied and found to be an effective alternative when used to control common bacteria such as listeria and salmonella, as well as fungal overgrowths of candida. (5)
Carrot Seed Essential Oil Uses
Carrot seed essential oil may not be as commonly known as others; it is still an excellent choice for use around your home or your body. There are countless uses, especially in conjunction with other essential oils to enhance the benefits. Here are a few uses for carrot seed essential oil in your everyday life.
- Diffuse 5-7 drops of carrot seed oil in your diffuser to spread the aromatic benefits throughout your home.
- Add 6 drops each of carrot seed, frankincense, and lavender to a 4 oz spray bottle. Fill with distilled water or vodka and spray in the air to deodorize your home.
- Add 5 drops each carrot seed, lavender, and chamomile to dry potpourri. Scents will diffuse gently into space and help calm and relax you.
- Add 2 drops carrot seed oil to a teaspoon of carrier oil of your choices, such as jojoba or rosehip. Apply to your face to treat your skin.
- In a 10mL roller bottle, add 5 drops each carrot seed and lavender essential oils. Fill remaining space with a carrier oil. Apply to your abdomen to relieve menstrual cramps.
- Combine ¼ cup honey, 1 tablespoon soap (like castile), ½ cup glycerin, and 20 drop carrot seed essential oil. Apply daily as a facial cleanser and follow up with a light moisturizer to keep skin healthy.
What is the Best Carrot Seed Essential Oil?
Finding quality carrot seed essential oil may be a challenge as it may be easy to be confused between carrot oil, carrot seed oil pressed from just the seeds, and carrot seed essential oil steam distilled from different plant parts. We’ve done the work for you and found the top three choices for the best carrot seed essential oil for you.
Plant Therapy Carrot Seed Essential Oil
With no added chemicals, GMOs or synthetic dyes, this oil is independently tested to be 100% pure. It is steam distilled, or CO2 extracted from plant material that is sourced from farms that follow standards for health, giving you an oil that can be used in your home and on your body.
Best for: Adding to Carrier Oils for Skincare
Mountain Rose Herbs Carrot Seed Essential Oil
With a natural middle note, this oil is ideal for adding to homemade mixes, especially with spicy oils that may tend to overpower a combined scent. This company has made oil that is as pure as possible tested independently tested to prevent the passing on of any added chemicals, making it ideal for diffusing throughout your home with any of your other favorite oils.
Best for: Diffusing throughout the House
Edens Garden Carrot Seed Essential Oil
Independently tested to be free of added chemicals and formulated from non-GMO plant material, this oil may be the one to add to your skincare regimen. The woody scent may blend well with other oils that are good for your skin, such as lavender or frankincense.
Best for: Apply to Your Abdomen for Help with Digestion
My Favorite Uses For Carrot Seed Essential Oil
I know that many people, especially where I grew up, consider Queen Anne’s lace to be a common weed, popping up along country roads that have been carved across old farmland and through the hollows. Instead of dandelions, I wove crowns of white lace and made myself queen for the summer.
I may not have known how useful wild carrot could be when I was child, but I was excited to learn about the many benefits as I grew older and educated myself on essential oils, I was pleased to learn that my favorite summertime ‘weed’ was indeed beneficial in other ways.
Carrot seed essential oil has become one of my more common oils to use, generally as a spot treatment for areas of my face and hands that are beginning to show my age. I like to add 1 drop each of lavender, tea tree, and carrot seed essential oils to a teaspoon of jojoba to make a serum that has helped slow those frown lines that appear on my forehead as the years go by. It has also helped with those acne-prone areas on my chin and upper lip, making whiteheads disappear within hours.
Recommended Carrot Seed Oil-Based Products
1. Naturopathica Carrot Seed Soothing Facial Oil
- FACIAL OIL: An ultra-calming blend of hydrating and soothing seed oils...
- KEY INGREDIENTS: Carrot seed oil known for its ability to rejuvenate....
- HOW TO USE: Apply a small amount of oil to fingertips and massage into...
Though it is important to keep your face clean, many products may contain chemicals that are harsh on your skin, making them less than ideal for daily care. This product contains natural oils for your skin that is made to be soothing by adding the anti-inflammatory properties of essential oils. It may also improve skin health by adding carrot seed oil, preventing any infections that may occur on the skin, such as those that happen with conditions like acne. Other natural oils prevent over-drying and discourage the overproduction of the skin’s natural oil.
2. BOGUE Luxury Goat Milk Soap- No.33 WELLNESS Anti-Aging Blend
- Artisanal, All-Natural, Soap handmade in Ojai, California with local,...
- Luxury Goat Milk, WELLNESS & BESPOKE soap made with a purpose, hand...
- Rich in nourishing Vitamins A,E, B6, B12 and hydrating proteins which...
Handmade soap continues to be a natural alternative in a world where more and more skincare products seem to be less beneficial for the skin. This soap is made from old methods of making soap from goat’s milk, which is antibacterial by itself. Added essential oils of carrot seed, frankincense, and myrrh make it ideal for skin that may be sensitive to harsh cleansers or particularly prone to infections of acne vulgaris. This product promises to be long-lasting, making it worth adding to your cleansing routine.
Caution of Carrot Seed Essential Oil
- Do not use carrot seed essential oil if you are pregnant. It has been used as a contraceptive and to stimulate menstruation. Use of this oil may cause miscarriage or bleeding.
- May interfere with medications used for regulating female hormones such as Premarin or estradiol.
- Carrot seed essential oil may cause a drop in blood pressure due to a diuretic effect.
- Always choose quality carrot seed essential oil from reputable suppliers.
- Always dilute carrot seed oil with a carrier oil. This oil is irritating to certain skin types when undiluted. Tisserand and Young (2014) report slight irritation to rabbit skin but not other animals.
- Store the oil in a dark container away from direct sunlight. Exposure to light may cause oxidation of the oil and lead to a greater chance of skin irritation.
I hope you enjoyed learning about carrot seed essential oil and the benefits it may have for your skin health and assisting with your digestion. Be sure to share this information with anyone who may be looking to keep their skin healthy, especially mature skin that may need more specialized care. Please comment below to let us know your thoughts.