You’ve just gotten back to the locker room after a long workout in the gym. You feel like a million bucks. The sweat drips out of your pores like beads of accomplishment knowing you’ve worked your butt off. Then, as you take off your athletic shoe and pull off your socks one by one you notice it.
The look on your face suddenly turns from accomplishment to agony. You think to yourself, “oh not again.”
Your feet become itchy, burning, and the feeling of embarrassment kills the excitement of a freshly completed workout. Athlete’s foot has reared its ugly head once again. Now what?
Recommended Athlete’s Foot Remedies
Information about Athlete’s Foot
Before we can show you how to treat athlete’s foot, we should first talk a bit about what it is and what causes it.
What is Athlete’s Foot?
Athlete’s Foot is a common foot disease consisting of blistering of the soles, fissures of the toe webs, and an itching sensation that often becomes too overwhelming to handle without treatment. (1)
This inflammatory skin infection appears with a scaly red texture marked by several small blisters. This fungal type ailment is not limited strictly to the feet as it may spread beyond to the individual’s palms, groin, and even to other areas of the body.
What is the Cause of Athlete’s Foot?
Athlete’s foot does not necessarily go hand in hand with athletics. Since the infection is fungal in nature, it can be spread amongst several individuals simultaneously.
The most common way its spread is by walking barefoot on contaminated floors. As such, gyms and locker rooms where several sweaty individuals are walking barefoot make it breeding ground for athlete’s foot to occur. One person with athlete’s foot can spread it to an entire population if they are not careful. It can be contracted by a contact allergy or through psoriasis.
The best way to prevent athlete’s foot from occurring is to keep feet dry by using socks and breathable shoes. Take extra care when coming into contact with other barefoot individuals. Practice wearing sandals in public showers in dorm rooms, locker rooms, or campsites.
To avoid potential contamination, once again be sure to avoid walking barefoot in wet, dark areas with heavy foot traffic including but not limited to: communal swimming pools shared showers and locker rooms, and dormitory style shower stalls.
Even though preventative measures can be taken to limit the occurrence of athlete’s foot, sometimes it can still be contracted without prior warning signs.
There are several symptoms of athlete’s foot which may or may not be noticeable to the naked eye at first glance.
Symptoms of Athlete’s Foot
Unlike some common skin irritants, athlete’s foot has little to no initial symptoms. People may be completely unaware they are carrying the infection for a significant length of time. Furthermore, some people may never show any signs of carrying it at all.
Some of the symptoms may include the following:
- Burning and
- Peeling of the skin
In more severe cases the following symptoms may arise:
- Skin cracking
- Pain and
- Itching between the toes
Beyond the initial symptoms, an athlete’s foot may appear as a rash on either of the feet or hands. Besides the hands and feet, athlete’s foot may also arise in the form of ringworm on the groin area. When a rash is discovered, it is necessary to perform a complete self-examination.
Treating only one part of the infection may eventually result in a constant reoccurrence of the initial infection. Furthermore, the contamination can be spread amongst individuals exponentially if not treated at early onset. The virus is particularly hard to diagnose is the fact that not all people will develop visible skin breakouts from the fungal contact.
Some people are simply more prone to acquire the infection, while others will never show any signs at all.
Essential Oils for Curing Athlete’s Foot
Essential oils are the most common compounds used for the treatment known as aromatherapy. Aromatherapy is medicine created with oils from fragrances found in many plants. These essences are extracted from plants naturally and are commonly concentrated to have a significant effect. (2)
Tea Tree Oil
A natural remedy that cures athlete’s foot by killing the fungus and providing relief. Tea tree oil is created from the leaves of tea trees and has been used as a traditional medicine for cuts and wounds for centuries by various aborigine people. (3)
Tea tree is commonly used today as a natural remedy not only to cure athlete’s foot but also is used to treat lice, nail fungus, cuts, and even insect bites. Tea Tree Oil today is used as one of the most common ingredients in healing skin irritations.
Lemon oil specializes in curing fungal infections and is considered a popular remedy for the appearance of dull skin. The antioxidant properties of lemon oil help to revitalize the skin giving it a much fresher, younger appearance.
Beyond the skin enhancement effects, it also is a popular remedy for treating acne and other skin disorders including athlete’s foot. (4)
Lemon Oil is a natural anti-oxidant, disinfectant, and anti-fungal essential oil making it a popular treatment for athlete’s foot and all skin disorders alike.
an oil produced by the Eucalyptus tree having anti-bacterial properties which fight athlete’s foot through hydration and detoxification. Eucalyptus oil has been shown to have anti-microbial activity aiding against E. coli and other bacterial infections.
The results from tests performed using eucalyptus oils have shown that infectious diseases can be treated with Eucalyptus oil. (5)
This oil has holistic properties as it aids in stress relief and skin irritations that occur as a byproduct. Lavender Oil has is cited as an antifungal agent used to treat athlete’s foot and other similar skin, hair, and nail problems.
During a particular 2011 study, a fungus was isolated and then exposed to lavender oil. (6) Its potential use as a treatment or preventative tool against athlete’s foot may eventually make it a popular athlete’s foot remedy.
not only will this oil kill bad breath, but it will also relieve inflammation with its menthol properties. Although peppermint is a common ingredient used in cooking, it has also been used for health-related purposes as well.
Some of the uses of peppermint oil today include aiding the relief of digestive problems, treating headaches, improving muscle recovery, and last but not least skin irritant relief. (7) Like other essential oils, peppermint oil should be used in concentrated form. The skin can be irritated or develop rashes when the oil is overused.
Recommendations of Natural Remedy Products
With so many natural remedy products on the market today, it can be difficult to distinguish which ones are foolproof. Although Athlete’s foot is a common occurrence today, you must ascertain which product will work for you on a case by case basis.
Purely Northwest Foot and Toenail System
- BEST VALUE!!! Get our Foot and Toenail Kit today for Only $29.95....
- FOOT & TOENAIL CARE: Our Antifungal Tea Tree Oil Foot & Body Wash, Tea...
- ANTIFUNGAL TEA TREE FOOT & BODY WASH: A Fragrant Blend of Essential...
The Purely Northwest Foot and Toenail System is a bundle package containing a mix of essential oils including Tea Tree Oil, Oregano, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and more. It is used as part of a daily regimen that leaves feet and toenails feeling clean and healed.
- Improved growth of toenails at a faster rate than normal;
- Rids toenail fungus within 24 hours;
- The disappearance of athlete’s foot;
- Lessened foot pain upon initial application;
- Heals dead skin on the feet
- Takes too much time to work for some individuals;
- Time-consuming to put on;
- Bottles were sticky and difficult to apply.
BEST Antifungal Balm, the Natural formula for Athlete’s Foot
- AWARD WINNING. TRUSTED BY 200,000 USERS ~ Awarded the "Family Tested...
- BUILDS A POWERFUL DEFENSE LAYER. HIGH IN TEA TREE & EUCALYPTUS ~ Every...
- PLANT-RICH, STAY-ON FORMULA ~ Beeswax and plant oil based ointment...
Puriya Wonder Balm is an anti-fungal and anti-microbial product used for treating stubborn foot, body, and facial skin conditions. It helps improve itchy, dry, cracked, scaly, and inflamed skin.
- Toenail fungus cleared up almost immediately;
- Relieves from itching fast;
- Cures eczema within one week or less;
- Brings discolored skin back to normal pigmentation;
- Dead skin heals back to normal.
- A small container that does not last for prolonged periods of time;
- Results do not last. Must continue use indefinitely to prevent further irritation;
- The cream feels gritty and grimy; and
- The product has a bad scent attached to it.
Peppermint & Tea Tree Soap Bar for Acne, Athlete’s Foot, and Ringworm
- FEEL ENERGIZED AND REFRESHED with a rich lather from our peppermint...
- TAKES THE ITCH AWAY. Our tea tree soap contains many organic...
- DOESN'T DRY AND IRRITATE SENSITIVE SKIN. Our castile soap bar is made...
The Yellow Bird’s All-Natural Soap is made with Tea Tree Essential Oil which is considered good for acne and other skin irritations. It is made from peppermint oil which helps nourish damaged and aged skin. Furthermore, Yellow Bird’s contains Sunflower Oil, Palm Oil, Olive Oil, and Coconut Oil which keeps skin looking young due to its anti-aging properties.
- Clear, radiant younger looking skin even when applied for only a short amount of time;
- Help keep the face from being too oily or greasy;
- Clears up acne even in adults;
- Improves dry, patchy skin;
- Soap has a refreshing smell; and
- Leaves skin feeling smooth and clean.
- The bottle was small and lasts only a week;
- It evaporates quickly if left open;
- The price is high considering the size of the bottle;
- The product sticks to skin even when wet.
Quantum Derma, Athlete’s Foot Cure
- Cures and prevents most athlete's foot
- Quick-drying mask
- Packed with potent botanicals
Quantum Derma is an athlete’s foot mask made from natural, anti-fungal botanicals. A mask is a can of cream that is applied to the feet before drying and adhering to the spaces between the toes. The mask can be applied under socks, shoes or sandals and washes off with ease.
- Itching is gone after only a single night of use;
- Gentle on the skin while killing fungus on site;
- The mask stays on even during strenuous activities and workouts; and
- Still heals fully 100% when applied over a period.
- The small tube does not last for very long;
- Dry spread that is difficult to initially spread;
- The product was diluted and very watery;
- Leaves behind a white film and unexpected residue.
We hope you enjoyed our list containing some of the most effective treatments and remedies for athlete’s foot on the market today. Athlete’s foot is an embarrassing but common problem that can be remedied with several of the products we mentioned today.
Finding the right product is crucial for your happiness and overall sense of well-being. There is no reason why you must live with athlete’s foot in today’s day and age. Your wellness is important to us, and we hope we’ve provided valuable information that will help improve your skin care journey.
If you enjoyed our article, please comment below with your feedback, thoughts, and ideas. Please feel free to share the article with your friends on social media if you think that it would help them as well.