Oregano is one of those herbs that everyone has some familiarity with, especially if you're any kind of a fan of Italian food. This bushy herb is part of the mint family and has been traded around the world for its medicinal uses in folk remedies. Not only has the whole herb been used, but oregano essential oil has several benefits and uses as well.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission if items are purchased, at no extra cost to you. This does not affect our opinions expressed above. For more info, read about our approach.
Oregano is one of those herbs that everyone has some familiarity with, especially if you’re any kind of a fan of Italian food. This bushy herb is part of the mint family and has been traded around the world for its medicinal uses in folk remedies. Not only has the whole herb been used, but oregano essential oil has several benefits and uses as well.
Recommended Oregano Oil-Based Products:
Oregano Essential Oil Benefits
More than just a spice found in your tomato sauce, the oil distilled from its leaves has made an impression in the medical world. Oregano essential oil appears to be an all-around beneficial oil. Whether you’re looking to treat minor infections or protect yourself from insects, oregano is a multi-use oil you won’t want to miss.
1. Antibacterial and Antifungal
It may seem like antibiotics are prescribed easily nowadays, treating even the most minor of infections. However, this can come with its own issues, such as upsetting the balance of necessary bacteria found in the body and also producing bacteria that are resistant to typical medications. A 2011 study found that Oregano essential oil is effective against several types of bacteria, both Gram-positive and negative. Gram-negative bacteria tend to have a cell wall that is harder to penetrate and can be harder to treat. Oregano essential oil was found to kill both types, including those that cause food-borne illnesses such as listeria and e. Coli, making it a possible cleaning agent for the hard surfaces of your home. (1) Another study from 2015 found that oregano was effective against candida, a fungus found in the body, which can often overgrow with antibiotic use. Candida overgrowth can be responsible for yeast infections or oral thrush. (2)
Biting insects such as ticks and mosquitoes are found everywhere except the places of the world that experience extreme cold. And while we may find them to be merely pests, many countries are severely affected by the spread of infectious diseases such as yellow fever and the zika virus, both transmitted by blood-seeking insects. Control of these insects is a matter of life and death in these cases, and there may be limited access to commercial insecticides and repellants. A 2016 study using cloth patch testing as well as human volunteers found that oregano essential oil was able to repel not only mosquitoes but also ticks. (3)
3. Ease breathing
Respiratory issues occur in relation to many different factors. It may be the result of the body’s natural response to allergens in the air or a chronic medical condition like asthma. This can result in inflammation in the respiratory tissue of the throat and lungs. A 2014 study looked at the inflammatory response of the respiratory tissue of mice and found that oregano possessed significant inflammation response benefits. This may show that oregano can be effective against the swelling that occurs in respiratory tissue in response to trauma from allergies or illness. It was also shown to be effective against different types of bacteria and fungi, both of which can be irritants if inhaled. (4)
4. Help with inflammation
Inflammation is the body’s natural response to trauma, whether from illness, an allergy, or even a wound. The immediate response is redness and swelling, as the body fights to remove the cause of the inflammation. A 2017 summary of findings show that oregano essential oil works against inflammation in a variety of ways. It can act as an antimicrobial, killing bacteria causing illness-related inflammation. It may also prevent oxidative stress on cells, which leads to reduced proliferation of damaged cells in diseases. Oregano essential oil also prevents the formation of inflammation markers in the body, so healing may begin even more quickly than without treatment. (5)
Oregano Essential Oil Uses
Oregano is a powerful essential oil that can be used in various ways around the house and office. Once it is properly diluted, it can be used for cleaning the air and keeping bugs from invading your yard. Here are a few samples of how to use oregano in your life.
- Diffuse 2 drops each oregano, peppermint, eucalyptus, and rosemary for a herbaceous scent that can ease breathing.
- Combine 3 cups boiling water with 4 drops each oregano, juniper, and lavender essential oil to a large bowl. Cover your head with a towel and inhale to relieve allergy symptoms.
- In an 8-ounce spray bottle, combine 10 drops each oregano, peppermint, and citronella with distilled water. Spray-on clothing or other areas where biting insects are found.
- Combine 4 drops oregano and 1 teaspoon of carrier oil. Apply to aching joints for pain relief.
- In an 8-ounce spray bottle, add 10 drops of oregano with 40 drops each of lemon and tea tree. Fill with vodka or distilled water and spray on hard surfaces as a natural cleaner.
- In 2-ounce squeeze bottle combine 1 drop oregano, 5 drops each helichrysum and peppermint, then 10 drops copaiba with a carrier oil of choice. Massage into affected areas.
What is the Best Oregano Essential Oil?
It would seem an easy task to find an oregano essential oil, especially when compared to the herb that seems to be everywhere. However, when searching for the best oregano essential oil, that task becomes a bit more daunting. To that end, we’ve done the work for you and have provided you with our top 3 choices below.
Plant Therapy Organic Oregano Essential Oil
This company produces an oil that is free from GMOs, adulterating chemicals, or synthetic dyes. Material to make this product is also sourced as organically as possible and independently tested to be sure you are receiving a 100% pure product. This particular oil is not rated safe for children, as per company standards.
Best for: Use in Cleaning Your Home
Aura Cacia Organic Oregano Essential Oil
This essential oil has been independently certified to be 100% therapeutic grade. It has been made from organically source material, making it free from chemicals that may cause sensitizing issues. This leaves you with the herbaceous scent that can help keep the air in your home fresh.
Best for: Diffuse to Cleanse the Air
Amrita Aromatherapy Organic Oregano Essential Oil
This essential oil has been made from material that is sourced from organic farms and independently tested to be free from GMOs, synthetic colors, or adulterating chemicals. This leaves you with only the best of oregano’s benefits and no fillers.
Best for: Massage for Muscle Aches
My Favorite Uses For Oregano Essential Oil
I must admit to passing over oregano essential oil more times than I probably should have. Just the word reminded me of pizza and spaghetti, and the thought of my house smelling like that wasn’t appealing at the time. However, a serious fungal infection found me looking for answers in the powerful herb.
I’m not usually prone to things like athlete’s foot. I honestly enjoy sandals and flip-flops, even in the cold months of the year. I am, however, prone to yeast infections on various parts of my body, especially in folds of skin.
After a course of antibiotics to treat a different issue, my body rebelled by sporting an overgrowth of candida on several areas. It caused itching that kept me up at night and resulted in dry, irritated skin on my belly and between my toes. I was hesitant to ask for further medication to help with the infections.
Enter oregano essential oil. I began soaking my feet in warm water, with oregano, tea tree oils and dispersant. I applied oregano in jojoba oil to my belly once a day after showering.
What a game-changer. I felt immediate relief from the itching, and the redness faded within days. My feet healed first since I could easily keep them dry and exposed to air. My belly followed quickly though, and I now keep a quick roll-on handy to apply when it seems like the itching may return.
Recommended Oregano Oil-Based Products
1. Purely Northwest Foot and Toenail Kit with Oregano Essential Oil
- BEST VALUE!!! Get our Foot and Toenail Kit today for Only $29.95....
- FOOT & TOENAIL CARE: Our Antifungal Tea Tree Oil Foot & Body Wash, Tea...
- ANTIFUNGAL TEA TREE FOOT & BODY WASH: A Fragrant Blend of Essential...
This kit contains what you’ll need to have healthy feet. With a foot soak of salts and essential oils that have been shown to fight fungal infections, this kit may help control nail and foot fungus. It also includes a body wash that can help control the outbreak of yeast or fungus on other parts of your body. A smaller application is available for application on your nails, which may need a more direct treatment if the foot soak does not improve the condition.
2. Nature’s Answer Oil Of Oregano Softgels
- Nature's Answer Oil of Oregeno Capsules Promotes Overall Good Health &...
- Oil of Oregano Supports a Healthy Immune System
- Supports Healthy Intestinal & Digestive Function
These soft gels may be the way to try oregano oil by mouth as it is presented in a diluted form as well as being encased in an easy to digest soft gel case. You can enjoy the health benefits of oregano directly through your digestive system rather than waiting for absorption through your skin. It is already conveniently measured, so you don’t have to guess at the dosage. You could also break the soft gel on your skin to help treat minor wounds with its antimicrobial benefits.
Caution of Oregano Essential Oil
- Oregano essential oil should not be taken directly by mouth. The oil may cause significant irritation to the surfaces of the mouth and throat.
- This oil is not recommended for use by pregnant women. It may affect menstruation.
- Oregano essential oil is irritating to the skin. Tisserand and Young (2014) reports that it was extremely sensitizing to mouse skin. Always dilute it in a carrier oil before topical application.
- Due to the risk of a hypoglycemic episode, people with diabetes should consult a doctor before using oregano essential oil.
- Do not use if you are currently taking anti-coagulant medication. Oregano may increase the effect.
- Store oregano essential oil out of direct sunlight and in a dark bottle. Oxidized oil may cause sensitivities.
- Always choose quality oregano essential oil from reputable suppliers.
I hope you enjoyed learning about all the different benefits and uses for oregano essential oil. Please be sure to share this information with anyone who is looking for an oil to help with lung health or controlling the fungal infection. Leave your comments below.